Sunday, October 2, 2011

Young Adult Literature - Code Talker

Bruchac, J. (2005).  Code talkers: a novel about the Navajo marines of World War Two. New  
          York: Speak.


Code Talkers is an interesting book covering a fascinating topic.  However, for some reason, I had a hard time getting into this novel.  I think that the main downfall is the way the author moves from one episode to another so quickly.  Sometimes it seems as if he is giving way too much military detail, and other times he moves quickly onto another battle or training session with little detail.  I think this inconsistency kept me from really connecting with the main character.  I do understand that it would be almost impossible to write a book of a manageable length that fully covers his entire experience leading up to and during World War II; however, I felt that the book would probably be more interesting if the author had focused more on a shorter period of time within the main character's life.  I also would have liked to have seen more interaction with his friends throughout the war.  It all just seemed  a little episodic to me.  I think the story of the code talkers is interesting, and I think it would appeal to boys who are more interested in battles and history. 

No comments:

Post a Comment