Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Sequels

I've been focusing on reading some sequels lately, so instead of posting a blog over each one, I thought I would just lump them all together and give a brief opinion.  The main reason I don't want to blog extensively on them, is because I will have to give too much of what happened in the first book away. 

 
 


 I recently blogged about City of Bones, which was the first book in The Mortal Instruments series.  I just finished book 2 and 3 of this series and I really enjoyed them, though there were some parts that were very predictable.  Also, while it is such a fast read and action packed, there is always some sort of crazy drama going on too.  This series was originally meant to be a trilogy.  I felt like the author pretty much wrapped up the main conflicts at the end of  City of Glass, so I'm curious to see what she will do with the next three books in the series.  It may be awhile before I read those though, since book 6 has not been published yet.  Since I am at a good stopping point, I think I will probably hold off with the rest of this series until the final book comes out.  The author also has a related series set much earlier called The Infernal Devices series.  I'm not sure if I'll move on to those or not.



On this book, I'm kind of cheating, since I'm not quite finished with it.  I have the audio version, so it takes a lot longer for me to finish a book this way.  However, I am 2/3 of the way through it and I have really enjoyed it so far.  This is the sequel to A Discovery of Witches.  Diana and Mathew have traveled back in time to Elizabethan England.  I would say that this book is probably for more mature readers than the first book.  It also helps if you are somewhat familiar with Elizabethan England and the historical figures associated with that time period, since it appears that Mathew was great friends with every important historical person who existed then.  We meet Christopher Marlow, Henry Percy, Queen Elizabeth, and Sir Walter Raleigh, just to name a few. 



No comments:

Post a Comment