Sunday, September 25, 2011

Young Adult Literature - A Great and Terrible Beauty

Bray, L. (2003). A great and terrible beauty.  New York: Delacorte Press.

A Great and Terrible Beauty  introduces the reader to Gemma Doyle, a sixteen year old girls who has been sent to the Spence Academy after her mother was mysteriously killed in India.  Gemma is not like other girls.  She learns that she has the ability to open a door to another realm, and she and her new friends at the academy begin spending more and more time there.  Gemma also learns that her mother was part of a mysterious group called the Order, who could also move between realms.  Furthermore, a mysterious young man named Kartik, follows Gemma from India to warn her to close her mind against strange visions she has of the future.

I enjoyed this book, but it wasn't one that captured me and compelled me to keep reading.  I was curious about the outcome and the supernatural aspects were interesting, but I felt that it could have been better.  I know that there are more books in this series, but I don't know that I will continue reading.  I enjoyed Bray's Going Bovine much more than this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment