Wednesday, March 27, 2013

I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga



As you should know by now, I like creepy books, the creepier, the better!  Therefore, when I saw this book, I definitely had to check it out.  While parts of the book didn't quite live up to my expectations, I thought this was a great first book in a series. 
Jasper "Jazz" Dent is introduced to us at the scene of a brutal murder.  He is watching the investigators as they go about their investigative process.  If you didn't know the premise of the book, you might suppose at this point that Jazz is a murderer who has come back to the scene of the crime.  However, that is not the case.  Jazz has been trained by the most prolific serial killer of all time....his dad.  He was supposed to follow in his dad's footsteps, but instead, his dad was caught and sent to prison.  Jazz has since developed a friendship with the detective who caught his father.  All he wants is to be a normal teenager; however, throughout the book the reader can see that damage that his dad has done to his mind.  Jazz constantly has to remind himself that people matter.  It is easy to see that things could have taken a very different turn for Jazz, and he could be the one killing instead of hunting the killers. 
I really enjoyed this book, though it was predictable in places.  For instance, I figured out the killer's identity early in the book.  However, there were enough surprises at the end to make up for that.  I am looking forward to the sequel to this book, Game, which I have heard is even better than the first book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment