Monday, August 1, 2011

Young Adult Literature - The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

Alexie, S., & Forney, E. (2007). The absolutely true diary of a part-time Indian . New York: Little, Brown.
 
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian is about a boy named Junior who lives with his family on the Spokane Indian Reservation.  He decides that he wants to receive a good education, so he leaves the reservation to attend an all-white school in the neighboring town. 
 
Personal Reaction:
I liked The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian.  However, I had higher expectations for the story when I started reading it.  I kept seeing the title on the New York Times Bestseller List, and I saw that it was the winner of many awards, so I expected the book to be wonderful.  I didn't feel that it lived up to those expectations, but I did enjoy learning about Junior and his Indian culture.  I thought it was an enjoyable read, and I liked the cartoons that illustrated his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment