Sunday, August 28, 2011

Young Adult Literature - The Tequila Worm


Canales, V. (2005). The tequila worm . New York: Wendy Lamb Books.

The Tequila Worm is a 2006 Pura Belpre Award Winner.
Summary:
The Tequila Worm is focuses on the traditions and beliefs of one Mexican-American family.  The narrator is Sofia, who longs to learn about life outside of her barrio.  When she wins a scholarship to a school in Austin, 350 miles from her home in McAllen, she learns that her family's traditions are what holds it together and makes it unique.
Personal Reaction:
I liked The Tequila Worm, but it wasn't as interesting or as exciting as some books I have read.  I thought the anecdotes were interesting, heart warming and often funny but, especially the beginning of the book, seemed very episodic.  The narrator takes the reader very quickly through different episodes and traditions in her life as she is growing up.  I liked the book better, when it progressed more slowly and focused on Sofia from the time she was fourteen to the end of the book.  Once Sofia is offered the chance to go to the school in Austin, the book continues with more of a traditional plot and I found that I was more engaged in the story from that point.   I must say that I had problems connecting to this story enough to get to the point where I didn't want to put it down.  I think it would appeal to many students, but while I enjoyed it, it wasn't a page turner for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment