Friday, July 15, 2011

Light in the Attic

Silverstein, S. (1981). A light in the attic. New York: HarperCollins Publishers.

A Light in the Attic appears on the List of 100 Most Challenged Books.

Personal Reaction:
A Light in the Attic is a collection of short poems and drawings by Shel Silverstein.  Even though I looked up the reason why this book is challenged, I still don't agree with it.  Apparently, the book was challenged at one school because some of Silverstein’s poems "glorified Satan, suicide, and cannibalism, and also encouraged children to be disobedient" (Lombardi).  I think that kids and adults should be able to see the humor in these poems and not take them literally.  They are entertaining and cute.  I enjoyed reading this book and I think that it would appeal to most kids as well.  I remember reading Where the Sidewalk Ends when I was a kid, and I loved it.  I don't ever remember reading A Light in the Attic.  Maybe our school did not have a copy of this book at the time, or I am sure that I would have read it since I enjoyed the other book so much. 




Lombardi, E. (n.d.). Banned Books - Challenged and Controversial Novels. Books & Literature Classics. Retrieved July 15, 2011, from http://classiclit.about.com/od/bannedliteratur1/tp/aa_bannedbooks.01.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment