Thursday, July 5, 2012

Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake



Okay, I have to admit, I was attracted to this book by the cool cover.  It drew me in and made me want to read it the first minute I saw it.  I just knew it was going to be a great creepy story, because let's face it, that is one creepy cover.  It looks like the house from the Amityville Horror in the background, with a creepy girl covered in blood in the foreground.  Then, I opened the book and looked at the inside flap and read the following:  "Just your average boy-meets-girl, girl-kills-people story...."  Okay, you had me with the cover, now I am even more hooked.  I read Stephen King through junior high, this sounds like it is right up my alley.  However, in the back of my mind, I had a feeling I would be disappointed.  I usually am on these types of books.  It seems that most young adult authors are careful not to make things too creepy because they don't want to traumatize you.  So, I started reading, but I didn't want to get my hopes up too high.  It only took the first chapter to have me completely hooked.  I couldn't put this book down.  When my husband woke up at midnight and I was still reading, I decided to pry myself away from the book and go to bed.  I should have known better, because I couldn't sleep.  I kept thinking about this book. 

Cas is a ghost hunter, like his father before him.  His father was killed by a ghost when Cas was 7.  He is determined that when he is strong enough, he will eventually go back to Baton Rouge and face his father's killer.  He doesn't just kill every ghost he comes across.  He seeks out ghosts that are causing problems.  Usually victims of a violent crimes come back to inflict the same type of damage on some unsuspecting living person.  Most of the time, the ghosts don't even realize that they are dead.  Everything is working well for Cas until he decides to go after a ghost that the locals call Anna Dressed in Blood.  Anna gruesomely kills every person that enters her house, but she doesn't kill Cas.  Instead, he watches her rip another boy apart right in front of him.    Cas discovers that, not only is Anna the most powerful ghost he has ever faced, but she is also aware of her situation.  There are two sides to this ghost, the innocent victim of a terrible crime who doesn't want to hurt anyone, and the blood thirsty killer.  Cas must determine what to do to destroy the killer without hurting the innocent victim. 

1 comment: