Saturday, December 31, 2011

Top 11 of 2011


Top 11 of 2011:
You do not know how difficult this challenge has been for me.  I have changed my list several times and I am still not quite happy with it.  I decided to stick with YA novels, though I have read some great books tthis year for older readers.  The number one book will be revealed tomorrow.

#11  Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green & David Levithan

I really enjoyed this book because of the alternating viewpoints.  Each author wrote alternating chapters from the point of view of a different boy named Will Grayson. 









#10 The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier  
I read this book for my Young Adult Literature class and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it.  It makes me want to read more from Robert Cormier.










#9 Nation by Terry Pratchett  
I had heard many great things about Terry Pratchett's books for a long time.  I finally decided to pick up this one and give it a try.  I am not sorry that I did.  Pratchett's style is intelligent and humorous.









#8 The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan
I really enjoyed this book. The title immediately caught my attention, and the cover art also intrigued me.  Mary's community is surrounded by a high fence to keep out the zombies who are constantly trying to get in to them.








#7 Gregor the Overlander (series) by Suzanne Collins 
My daughter was interested in reading this book because her teacher read part of it to her class, but she didn't get to find out what happened.  We started reading this series together, but we finished it separately.  I really enjoyed sharing the experience with her and discussing what would happen next.  The story was fun and entertaining with some good lessons along the way.







#6 Looking for Alaska by John Green 
This book turned me into a fan of John Green and prompted me to read Will Grayson, Will Grayson.  I loved the writing style and the depth of this book.









#5 Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson 
I had heard so many things about this book (both positive and negative), that I had no idea what to expect.  I am so happy that I read this book.  It is such a powerful story.  The reader can't help but feel sympathy to the main character as she struggles to come to terms with being raped. 







#4 The Maze Runner by James Dashner 
 I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed this book, but then again, I have a tendency to like dystopia novels (one of my favorite genres).  I am looking forward to reading the other two books in this trilogy.








#3 Going Bovine by Libba Bray
I loved this book!  The cover art captured my attention right away, but I was reluctant to read it since I wasn't overly impressed with another book I read by this same author.  I finally decided to give it a try and was rewarded for my effort.  The book turns a serious situation (a terminal illness) into a humorous, impossible quest away from reality. 







#2 The Book Thief by Markus Zusak 
Okay, this one is kind of cheating.  I did read this book this year, but it wasn't my first time to read it.  If it had been my first reading of the book, I probably would have put it at number 1 since it is still one of the best books I have ever read.  I loved this book the first time I read it and I loved it (and cried) again when I read it again this year.  It is a powerful book and I think everyone should read it.







Check back tomorrow for my #1 book of 2011!!!

3 comments:

  1. Oh I loved the Gregor series! And loved loved loved The Forest of Hands and Teeth series! Great picks!
    Julie(Edifying)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Julie. Loved Gregor and Forest of Hands and Teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I own and still haven't read your 3,4,6, and 11. I will also have to add The Forest of Hands and Teeth to my Goodreads "to read" shelf so I don't forget it. It looks like a good one too!

    ReplyDelete