Monday, December 24, 2012

Holiday Break Reading Challenge - Day 8 - Hit and Miss



Today's challenge is to share a book that knocked me off my feet, and one that disappointed me.  It was difficult to choose a hit this year, because there were so many that I really loved.  I loved Anna Dressed in Blood, Unwind, Unwholly, Divergent, Insurgent, Article 5, Ashes, etc., but for my hit, I decided to choose a book that I didn't expect to like.

Hit for 2012:

I didn't expect to enjoy this book as much as I did.  Sure, it has zombies in it, so I thought I would like it, but it also features a girl who does NOT want to survive the zombies, a girl who wants to end her own life.  My thought was, that this was going to be a very depressing read, and it was in places.  But, it was also a wonderful look at interesting characters who are trying to cope with an impossible situation.  I'm glad I read this book.
 
 
Miss for 2012:
 

There were few books that were misses for me this year, but this one is the only book that I couldn't bring myself to finish.  I just wonder if my expectations were too high, because I had heard so many great things about this book.  Or, it could have been that I listened to the audio version.  Maybe I would have liked the book better if I had read it instead of listened to it.  Who knows.



3 comments:

  1. Haven't read either of those. The zombie one does sound interesting. My husband has read the Ender's Game and liked them. Maybe it's a guy thing? Thanks for participating!

    Julie(Edifying)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, I am not really a "sci-fi" fan and had resisted Ender's Game for years, even as all six males in my house have read it and re-read it. I finally did read it, and I LOVED it. I don't think I would have loved it as an audiobook, though. How did they narrate it given Ender starts as a six year old? The movie should come out next year, so maybe that will be appealing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually am a fan of sci-fi, but this one just didn't hold my interest. They had multiple narrators on the audio version, and did a fairly good job. I think I just expected too much since I have students who LOVE this book. It just disappointed me.

    ReplyDelete