Tuesday, December 4, 2012

The Eleventh Plague by Jeff Hirsch


After a war with China, the United States has been almost totally destroyed.  Two-thirds of the population were killed by a plague released by the enemy.  Fifteen year old, Quinn, was born after "the collapse" to two survivors of the war.  His family has become salvagers to survive.  They salvage items and trade them at a survivor colony.  The one rule is to always keep moving to avoid slave traders, who would capture them for profit.  When an accident forces Quinn and his father to rely on a group of survivors who have built their own remote village, Quinn begins to undestand that there are more important things in life than just surviving.  He begins to make friends, but he also accidentally brings danger to the group. 

I liked the book, but I did have a little trouble getting into it at first.  I think that there were some parts that were a little slow.  It could be that I have read too many of these apocalyptic survival stories lately, and this one just didn't measure up to some of the other ones I've read recently.  Still, it was an interesting story that could easily happen in our future.  It was recommended to me by a student who loved it.  At the time, I was trying to hurry and finish it, so I could start a different book, so that could have played into my initial lack of enthusiasm for it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment